Wednesday, April 15, 2015

~Spring in the Garden~

Wow, I can't believe how much time has gone by since my last post! I was caught up in my Spring cleaning; and then, the girls were home for Spring Break. They brought a few friends home; and we had a full house. It was so nice to have such lively spirits around for awhile. Now, our focus has shifted to sprucing up the outdoor areas. In my last post, I shared the courtyard at our local Restoration Hardware. This year, we are trying to change things up a bit. Lately, I have been obsessed with ivy and boxwood combos, in a courtyard setting. These are a few of the inspiration images that I had saved to my files...

source

As seen here, boxwoods also look great in a fall setting with mums and kale. They provide a nice touch of green throughout the winter months, as well.

Mums, ivy, and boxwood planters.  Classy and traditional windowboxes and garden.  coffeepearlsandpoetry
source

I have seen these next images pinned all over Pinterest; and I immediately recognized them from one of my favorite blogs...


source

Jan, at The French Tangerine, does a magnificent job with her signature pots of boxwood and ivy! Her backyard layout is very similar to ours, and has been a huge inspiration!


source

Dear Hubby scored some great boxwoods, last week, for $5! He planted several, around the perimeter of the yard, to create a new hedge. Then, we started a few in pots. These are the ones that are left. (There are about ten of them.) In the next few days, we will be potting these as well, with some ivy trailing out. We've also put out new rosemary and lavender plants; and Dear Hubby has started his vegetable garden. 


Dear Hubby also picked up a few pots of beautiful geraniums...



They add such a nice pop of color to the space. 
Also, as usual, with early Spring, the knockout roses are in full bloom...



As well as the clematis...



And the lamb's ears are spreading like crazy. In fact, we divided them and planted some in other areas. There's nothing like shopping your own backyard for free plants!



The potted pansies, from the fall, are still going strong...



And, I'm especially happy that this pot of mint has come back! There is nothing like a sprig of fresh mint, in a glass of iced tea!



With everything starting to bud, the pollen is crazy, right now. As soon as it settles down, we'll be able to hose everything down and really spruce up the space. Right now, we're just focused on getting the gardens cleaned up and everything planted.

What about you? Have you begun your spring planting yet?

Thanks, so much for stopping by! Hope you're having a great day!

21 comments:

  1. Hello Shenita, love your idea of the boxwoods and ivy. We have boxwood hedges. It looks so elegant. Maybe I will plant some in some pots. We have been working on one of our outdoor patios. My husband added white lights to a tree. He actually did it last year, but removed them fro the winter. It does add ambiance. I am looking forward to seeing your new look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have missed you! Haven't been blogging much myself, same reasons!! I am so looking forward to getting back in our yard. Been raining so much here, and we leave next week for our trip to Hawaii. Need to get to it once we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you too. I love the boxwoods and ivy. Keep us posted:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed you my friend! Your flowering plants are looking good, can't wait to see what else you do I know it's going to look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boxwoods and ivy sound beautiful! Can't wait to see yours! We have all missed you!!!! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shenita!! I have missed your posts! I am so happy to see this one, we are working on our outdoor spaces as well. I too love boxwoods, they are so versatile! I look forward to seeing all your beautiful plants :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love how pretty everything is looking at your house this Spring! The garden setting you're making sounds beautiful. I love boxwoods and don't have any here either. I just looked at some for sale at Costco recently and thought about getting them. They are so nice. Your flowers are ahead of ours. We are covered in pollen too. I hate it! I just hosed off our front porch since the rain doesn't rinse it off just so we wouldn't track so much of it inside. It was so thick that you could see footprints in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been very busy! We DO think alike! We don't have any boxwoods but have holly bushes that give me the red berries for Christmas. I feel really silly admitting this but I didn't know there were berries on the bushes until this year. The top of the bushes don't have the berries, you have to look under and into them to see the red berries. They are prickly but I was loving them when I realized that and they stay green year round. Can't wait to see your outside space when it's ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lookin' good there! Aren't we having a wonderful spring? I could use a little more sunshine but I'm so thankful for the rain that I dare not fuss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Shenita!!....just beginning our planting as we have been waiting for the last of the freeze warnings...your flowers and patio are always so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are already so pretty! Things are just now starting to green up around here so no planting yet....soon though!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are still weeks away from any planting...our grass just started turning green. I love the boxwood and geraniums are one of my favorites. Can't wait until we can start planting!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't started my spring planting yet but I did get my overgrown Hollies pulled out last week and I freshened up one bed of Azaleas. I'll be back out there as soon as this week of rain has moved out! Everything at your place looks great! What a great find of the $5 boxwoods!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spring hasn't warmed up that much here yet. Our spring clean up and first fertilizer treatment was done today. We haven't started planting at the new house yet. Boxwood are in the plans. They are a favorite of mine. Getting our front yard done is the focus this year

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your ideas and the inspiration photos! I'm sure you're going to love the outcome. We've cleaned up some garden beds and are seeing signs of life but we're a long way off from seeing flowers blooming. I'm not familiar with the blog you mentioned but I'll check it out! Good to see you post again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been missing you my friend! I too love the boxwoods. They seem to be so easy to care for and can be shaped nicely. We are having a late spring here in NJ . The trees are just starting to open up a bit. Up until this week it was cold.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Shenita! Oh, I'm sure your gardens are going to be beautiful! Since we've moved to upstate New York I have so much to learn about what to plant and our backyard is just plain nekked! :) Thank you so much for poppign in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shenita, how funny - hubby just tore out the last of ours last Saturday. Maybe we should have saved them for a pot - no they were to big to replant and I wanted the garden spots they were taking up.
    Your inspiration pictures are so beautiful. My garden is starting to look better as I get it cleaned up. The spring flowers are up and strawberries are already in bloom! Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely and fun! I love springtime - except for the pollen. We've planted and watched it grow like crazy with all the rain this spring. Also spent a good deal of time cleaning pollen off everything on the patio - twice this spring. Looking forward to seeing more of your backyard and patio soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Anniversary!! NO, I haven't started, but after seeing your fabulous inspiration, I'm going to get busy! Savannah is beautiful ... I know you all had a wonderful time! I look forward to seeing all that you do in your already fabulous yard!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Shenita!
    I just thought of you and it's almost a year you haven't being around blogland.
    I hope all is well with you and yours.
    Many blessings my friend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete