Thursday, February 12, 2015

~An Unconventional Valentine's Tablescape~

Are you getting ready for Valentine's Day? Since it's only a few days away, I've been giving some thought to how I would like to celebrate with my hubby. I wanted something a little different from the traditional red and white. I envisioned a relaxed setting around the coffee table, in front of the fireplace.


When dressing a table, I love to start with a great tablecover. For this setting, I chose one of my faux zebra throws from ZGallerie.


I raided my stash of chargers and decided to go with the gold ones, especially since gold is so trendy right now. I've had these for years, but I see stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby selling them for a couple of bucks each.


I layered the chargers with some retro, black onyx, octagonal plates that I have had for years. Last year, ZGallerie had a plate that was almost identical. (I did a post about it that you can read here.)
It was so interesting to see that something I've had, since the late 80's, was suddenly trendy again.


The octagonal plates were layered with a trendy black and white salad/dessert plate, that I also got at ZGallerie last year. (Can you tell that I LOVE that store?) 


To coordinate with the black plates, I also pulled out some retro black wine goblets and champagne flutes. (I think they are an old Mikasa pattern.)  I saw a similar style of Onyx stemware on the ZGallerie website. 


I also used gold flatware to coordinate with the gold chargers. The plates are layered with gold, harlequin-patterned napkins. I love to mix lots of patterns and textures.


I simply finished the setting with a cluster of red roses, for a small pop of color and a little candlelight...perfect for a cozy evening together. 


The setting doesn't scream "Valentine's Day"; so, it's perfect for a quiet evening anytime!


That's it for today! Hope you've enjoyed your visit!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful table setting. We too are going to enjoy an evening at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very pretty, Shenita! We also rather stay home and just enjoy a quiet dinner. Thank you for stopping by to visit today. Happy Velentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This setting is so romantic! All snuggled up by the fire with an delicious meal on those elegant plates.
    Lovely, nothing could be better. Enjoy the day.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shenita, yes...we do think alike...LOL Love the faux throw and the black goblets. Such a romantic setting, especially fireside. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very romantic! Happy Valentine's Day...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, cozy, romantic setting....love it! Have a Happy Valentines Day to you and your sweetie.:) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you and hubby will be having a cozy time together on Valentines Day! That table setting has sizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful Shenita! Nice and Cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely and romantic table setting for two, Shenita. Happy Valentines Day to you and Hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous setting…I love all the textures and layering - Happy Valentines Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful, elegant and romantic Shenita! Your Valentine's table is SO YOU! I love the animal print spread idea. Enjoy Valentine's with your man.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...talk about romance!....Your gorgeous table screams romance and elegance. I am so happy to see a tablescape here today...you always create so many fabulous and creative ones!!...Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very romantic! Love the black and white theme. The touch of gold and the roses jazzes it up! Have a beautiful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grrrrrr!!!! As Austin Powers would say..."Oh, be-have!"

    I love the unconventional look of it all. It's not easy for everyone to pull that off, but you did it in great style! It's great to see a Valentine's Day tablescape that has a different vibe to it!

    I never knew gold went out of style! I just sort of totter along without paying much attention, I guess. It's great that you have some pieces that work so beautifully together! That old saying, "What goes around, comes around" applies to more that treating people badly. It also definitely applies to fashion and decor! You are wise to have held onto good stuff that made you happy. It has now made its way back into fashion's favor, and you are sittin' pretty!

    I remember considering those dessert plates when they were on sale at Z Gallerie! I ended up not getting them, but they sure are pretty! They look great with your table ensemble!

    I hope you and your husband have a wonderful Valentine's weekend! To once again quote Austin Powers: "Yeah, baby!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful tablesscape Shenita!! So non-traditional but so very cozy and romantic at the tim.! LOVE your use of the animal print with the pretty and very traditional red roses in the center. This one is a home run girlfriend!!!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shenita, I can just see hubby doing one of those yank the tablecloth off the table without disturbing a thing tricks and you two wrapping up in front of the fire! What a fun table. Yes, I love Z Gallerie too! The girlfriends and I went out for a birthday lunch last week and we all came away with treasures - one a bed - lucky lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete