Monday, January 12, 2015

~Glazing Natural Maple Cabinets~

Well, hello, everyone! Hope you had a great holiday season! For many of us, a new year always presents an opportunity to make some changes. I have always loved the look of rustic kitchen cabinets, in a Tuscan-style kitchen. There is just 'something' about the look of cabinets glazed to a warm, burnished hue, that gives the kitchen a really warm feel. I love the finish when it is left matte, without a glossy finish. 


For inspiration, I love to look at the local MLS listings to see what others are doing with their decor. The rustic glaze used on these cabinets was exactly what I had envisioned.
(source)

So, what's a girl to do? I went into my stash of glazes and went to work! Over the course of three days, I brushed and wiped glazes all over my kitchen cabinets. For anyone who has ever tackled this sort of project, you've got be all in, once you start. 
There's no turning back!

My cabinets were originally a raw, unfinished maple, that I have loved for years. But, I wanted something different. The cabinets took the first layer of glaze very easily. 

(This is a project that I took on in the fall, just before the Christmas decorations went up...hence, the fall decor still scattered around.)
(Buffet Island)

(Center Island)

(Please excuse the poor quality of the photo. It was a quick snap with my cell phone, at night...with low lighting.)

I let the excess sit in the grooves, before wiping with an old t-shirt. I used a mocha glaze for the first layer...


Then, to get the rustic depth, (and to keep the cabinets from looking 'orange'), I brushed on an oil-based glaze from Sherwin Williams in Van Dyke Brown...


Now, the kitchen feels very warm and inviting; and it has the rustic feel that I have wanted. When the girls came home for Christmas, they loved it!  I am still in the process of tweaking things; but, I wanted to share a peek at what I have been up to.

Do you have any projects planned? I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great day!!

Linking to:
Coastal Charm-Show and Share
Thrifty Decor Chick-January Before and After

16 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. Yes, patience is the key. We are thinking of either reworking our island or entertainment center. Our hardwood floors are due for refinishing as well, but that is for the professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your cabinets turned out beautifully shenita! i'm sure it was a lot of work but well worth it in the end.

    oh, yes, i have many projects in my head, some dating back a couple of years, but this has been "one of those years" so nothing got done...hoping to rectify that somewhat this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the change...it definitely adds warmth to your already beautiful kitchen. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- that did add some warmth, depth, and character! I admire your bravery to try this! I don't have too much in mind except some painting in the kitchen and bedroom. I dreaming about the outside and what I will and won't plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Shenita!!!! It looks sooooooooooo good. It definitely adds the warmth and character, and age that you were looking for. I cannot wait to see it all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shenita,
    Amazing transformation, dear friend!!!
    I l o v e Sherwin~Williams products!!!
    The effect is truly elegant on your island!!!
    "Mr. Ed" and I just had our project conversation this evening.
    With him, I must provide a start and a finish date. . .or it's "When I get to it".
    Our first undertaking of 2015 is to complete the Entry Hall transformation.
    We began with new ceramic tile this past Autumn, before he suffered a stroke.
    I'm anxious to begin. . .no peeking!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the peek Shenita...can't wait for a full reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...so that is what you have been up to...what a major project that resulted in gorgeous cabinets...I love the glaze that you used!....Definitely the look you were going for...and you did such an outstanding job...Bravo Shenita!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheer perfection on those cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year, Shenita!! Your cabinets look fabulous, the glazes you chose gave it just the look you were looking for! Can't wait to see it all!!! HURRY:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shebita, you're doing a fantastic job. I know glazing furniture takes time and patience. I can't wait to see them finished. I have many furniture projects planned for the year

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks great! You really did a great job making your cabinets look like your inspiration picture. I can see why there's no going back once you start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cabinets look fabulous Shenita!!! You did a wonderful job. The color really does make your kitchen feel very warm...the perfect place to whip up some Mediterranean delights!
    Happy New Year!!!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shenita wow! I'm glad you got you started the new year with the right foot, doing such an amazing job!
    Your kitchen cabinets look fabulous, what a great idea and job! Now it sure goes better with your lovely home.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you did with your cabinets! You are so industrious! I love seeing all your projects.
    Happy New Year!
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks awesome! It is so nice to have a change sometimes.

    ReplyDelete