Monday, May 5, 2014

~Refreshing for Spring~

Happy Saturday, everyone! Hope you are enjoying these wonderful Spring days! The weather has been perfect for planting and freshening things up outside. I spent some time yesterday putting this wreath together for the front door. I actually had all of the components in my stash; so, it cost me nothing to make.


The colors have a very Tuscan feel...perfect for the decor of our home. I couldn't help but add my signature fleur de lis to the center. It pops against the black door.



I have also been working on the pots out front. I stopped at Lowe's, on a whim the other day, just to see what they had. As I walked through the gates, I noticed that the line was especially long and all of the carts were FULL of plants. Well, they had just put out a selection of plants on clearance! Anything with a yellow sticker that said $1.00 or $3.00, was now 25¢!!! Needless to say, I got a cart and grabbed the last of these quart-sized caladiums. They always do well on the covered front porch.


I was also able to get a flat of these quart-sized salvias at 25¢ each! Love this bright pop of red on the patio! I put some in pots and some on the wall in the window boxes.



I also potted up the large urns with green sweet potato vines and pink vincas. As the weather warms, these will fill out nicely. They have been our "go to" plants for the past couple of years.



They don't look like much now; but, in about a month, they will look more like this...


Can't wait to see everything on the front and back porches in full bloom! Due to the extreme drought here, we're on Stage 3 watering restrictions. We can only water the lawn twice a month. For us, it's the first and third Saturdays of the month. However, hand watering is allowed. So, we've been very selective with our planting this year...choosing many plants that are drought tolerant.

Well, that's it for today. Thanks so much for stopping by!

23 comments:

  1. Your wreath is so pretty! I love the fleur de lis in the middle of it. You are right, it really shows against the door.

    You got so lucky with the plants! I used to run into sales like that at the Lowes when we lived in Edmond. Seemed like they always had more than they could sell so I would get lucky. Not happening here so far. We are also in Stage 3 and the threat of Stage 4 is real! Our water comes from Lake Lavon..you know it's pretty empty. It's strange because we live a stones throw from Lake Ray Hubbard and man....driving over it all the time and seeing the water just disappear is scary! We still went ahead and did our beds and pots. I'm seriously trying to conserve every drop of water these days even in the house. I've been pouring half empty glasses of water in my pots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful wreath Shenita and I love the flowers you planted...have a super weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous wreath Shenita!!! Isn't it wonderful when you can create something as fabulous as your wreath with items you already have??? Your potted plants already look like they have been together for a while now...can't imagine how beautiful they will look in a month's time!!!
    By the way you can have some of our rain here in the northeast...we got soaked this week!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Springy wreath. How fun it is to plant your flowers. You do a good job! -Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty wreath- great colors! Your getting discounts offered on plants and we're just starting to get them in here! The vinca and potato vine are a great combo! That's got to be hard to have any kind of lawn if you can only water twice a month! Good thing grass is so resilient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that fleur de lis and the hydrangeas. And you've convinced me to plant sweet potato vine this year! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. so pretty! totally refreshing & beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a gorgeous wreath, and did you ever score on the caladiums, I bought a flat of them at Calloway's yesterday for 2.99 each totalling close to 60 bucks for the flat!
    We are not in water restrictions here in Flower Mound yet, and I hope to get our new sod in before it does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wreath is very pretty against your black front door. Lucky you to find such great bargains on those plants. I love sweet potato vine too. We haven't begun planting our flowers yet because we're "cleaning and staining" decks and porches at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks lovely Shenita. I'm off to Lowe's today to fill a few of my pots. Hope I find some great deals like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shenita this wreath is gorgeous and I love the colors and the center.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a gorgeous wreath! I love the colors you used. Plus I can't believe the prices at Lowe's....I have to start stalking their garden center now...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, Shenita! I thought of you today while hubby and I were out enjoying the Spring Parade of Homes Tour. There were a couple of homes with decor that really reminded me of your style!

    You've given me the inspiration I need to get my hips out there and get some flowers planted. I have such trouble since my back and shoulders are so jacked up, but I still like to putter if I can. I just love what the color and texture does for the house!

    Have a Happy Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous wreath, Shenita! AND a great deal on those plants for your front porch. My pansies are still doing great on our porch and just don't seem to stop blooming... love that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great deal! My mom got a bunch of stuff at Home Depot the other day that was going to be thrown away so they gave it to her really cheap & it all looks good! Love deals like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The wreath is gorgeous Shenita!!!!....Looks like you have a great plan for your front porch planters...I am sure they are going to look so amazing in a month...so I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor!!...Great selection of plants...love the great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish I had a Home Depat store around here, so I can go get deals like you! Your plants are perfect for the lovely planting weather you must have now my friend.
    Happy Mother's Day ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your wreath, your plants look beautiful and I love the price.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shenita, your outdoor space is looking lovely! I can't believe you made that wreath!? I'd love to rummage in that stash! Gorgeous plants, too.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your gorgeous wreath Shenita. The flowers are all so pretty. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Shenita, I can remember your previouos potato vine, and girl, you grow them good!! I have planted mine, and hope they turn out half as pretty as yours do. Every time I see a fleur de lis anything, I automatically think of you. That is just your signature as far as I am concerned. Hope all is well, and happy to see a post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh shenita, your wreath is beautiful!!! I need to make a new one this year too. I put last years out but it is looking a little "tired". Your plants are going to be gorgeous as they fill out, we have been doing the same thing;planting like mad!!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shenita, you make everything lovely. Thank you so much for sharing your pretty new wreath at Grace at Home--I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete