Tuesday, May 27, 2014

~Front Porch~

Happy Sunday, Everyone! I hope that you are having a great weekend! Today, I decided to share my front entry, since we are supposed to have rain for the next couple of days. 


The flowers are just beginning to "take off". The large urns are planted with sweet potato vines. They do really well for us every year; so, we tend to stick with what works. Behind the urns, on a couple of pedestals, are Boston ferns, to add a little Southern flair. The small urns up front are filled with vincas. They are very drought tolerant and will spill over the top, as they fill out.

The two vintage cast iron chairs, flanking the front door, belonged to my grandmother. My girls surprised me by bringing the set, from Louisiana, for Mother's Day. I had always wanted it; but, just never got around to getting it out of storage. I've always loved the grapevine motif and wanted to use these pieces at our home, somehow. There is something so romantic about these sets in white. 


via
(I forgot to take a 'before' pic; but the pieces were very dirty and rusty, and looked very much like this photo I found on the internet...except with a bit more rust. )

Since all of our outdoor furnishings are black, I took these out to an empty spot behind the house and gave them a good cleaning and a few coats of Rustoleum spray paint. These photos are after the first coat went on...




Remember these garden sets? My grandmother had hers sitting in the front yard, in front of her Snowball hydrangea bush. This furniture is extremely heavy; and you don't have to worry about it blowing over! They don't make outdoor furniture like this anymore!  This set is close to 100 years old.  Now, the chairs sit graciously at our entry. The matching loveseat is in the garden out back...


The flags are out for Memorial Day; and the hubby and I will be celebrating 24 years of marriage tomorrow!



On this Memorial Day weekend, let's remember and honor all of those who have served to protect us and our country. They have made the ultimate sacrifices on our behalf; and our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families!

Have a great day!!
The Dedicated House

southern hospitality



**Note: Not sure if you are getting my emails or not...the DMARC authentication service has been bouncing my replies back to me, for the past couple of weeks. Please know that I have responded to each and every one of your lovely comments and I really appreciate your visits!!**

Linking to:
Dimples and Tangles-Best Of The Nest
My Romantic Home-Show and Tell 
The Charm of Home-Home Sweet Home
French Country Cottage-Feathered Nest Friday
Imparting Grace-Grace At Home
From My Front Porch To Yours-Treasure Hunt Thursday
Ivy and Elephants-What's It Wednesday
RowHouse Events and Interiors- Wake Up Wednesday
DIY by Design-Swing Into Spring
Savvy Southern Style-Wow Us Wednesday
A Stroll Thru Life-Inspire Me Tuesday
Our Home Away From Home-Tuesdays At Our Home
Not Just A Housewife-Show Me What You Got
House on the Way-Twirl and Take a Bow
Worthing Court-The Scoop
Knick of Time-Knick of Time Tuesday
Coastal Charm-Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Between Naps On The Porch-Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House-Make It Pretty Monday
Under The Table and Dreaming-The Sunday Showcase
Southern Hospitality-Thrifty May Treasures
Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home-Amaze Me Monday
One More Time Events-Share It One More Time
It's Overflowing-Share Your Creativity
Life On Lakeshore Drive-Bouquet of Talent
Three Mango Seeds-It's A Party

45 comments:

  1. Such a patriotic and pretty entryway! Happy Anniversary too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your porch is so-so Southern Shenita and just beautiful! I love sweet potato vines too as they do very well here in our yard and patio. How sweet of your girls to bring you the wrought iron furniture, those things last forever.

    Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shenita, your front porch is gorgeous. I love all the varying pots and plants. Love potato vine. I still need to fill our pots for summer, but have waiting since we have new windows going in and painting being done in the next few weeks. The architecture of your entryway is amazing. Love all the windows.
    Happy Anniversary. Hubby and I shared our 26th on the 21st.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Now your porch is so pretty and welcoming. Your entire home is just gorgeous. I love those olden patio sets. I always thought they were so elegant! Happy Memorial Day and thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found the perfect spot for your grandmother's chairs! I am sure they are happy to be out of storage and enjoyed again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shenita,
    Beautiful!!!
    I love the heavy patio furniture!!!
    Sweet potato vine is stunning against the brick!!!
    Happy Anniversary to you and your dear husband!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your entry looks gorgeous and very welcoming. I really love the chairs dressed up in black paint! Very nice :)
    Julie @ Renaissance Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Your entry porch is beautiful. I just planted Potato Vines today - three of them!
    Visiting from Amaze me Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your porch is gorgeous! Love all the plants, I really love anything that "trails" down the sides of the pots. And the garden furniture is a real treasure! Happy Anniversary! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary Shenita! Your front porch looks fabulous- love the newly painted chairs. The plants look fabulous- those sweet potato vines are going to be all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful entry, Shenita! A nice way to welcome guest to your home. I love the sweet potato vine. I'll have to look for some for my pots. And your girls were so sweet to transport your grandmother's set to you. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, your entrance is so beautiful and grand. I love it. The flowers really are pretty, but I love the 3 story windows. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shenita, your entry is gorgeous. I love your grandmother's garden pieces. I would love to find a vintage set like that. What a treasure!
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sweet about the chair story,Shenita. Oh, and I just knew that I would get ahead of you with the potato vine thing this time. I have been talking to, watering, baby-ing, and fertilizing mine, and they still look no where near as good as yours. UGH!!! Anyhoo, have a wonderful and safe holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous makeover Shenita. Looks stunning by your front entry. Happy Memorial day to you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your porch looks terrific, Shenita. The flags really pop and caught my eye right away. You're fortunate to have those vintage wrought iron chairs - those things have gotten crazy expensive around here! Happy early anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooo, i do love this beautiful set...made more special that it belonged to your grandmother.
    your entry is so beautiful.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shenita, Your grandmother's set is lovely and your sweet daughters surprised you and added to the joy of receiving it! Happy Anniversary to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary, Shenita! We just celebrated 29 so I know it is a feat to make it this far without killing each other. ; ) Your urns look great. I have had good luck with sweet potato vine in my urns, too. Mine haven't taken off yet, but hopefully soon. I always forget about vinca. We get a lot of sun here so that is something I should remember. Love that set. I remember seeing those sets back when I was growing up in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful entry to your home. Happy Anniversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your entry looks so beautiful. I love the iron chairs painted black even better than the white. How sweet to have a family treasure. Hope you have a Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love love love your gorgeous entry! Thank you for linking up with Twirl and Take a Bow! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your front entry is wonderful! and congrats on the Anniversary too!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful Shenita!! I use sweet potato vine all the time...love that stuff!!
    Happy Anniversary to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful entry, love your seating!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shenita, wow, where to begin. Your entry is stunning on its own but with everything you have added it is even more gorgeous. What great pieces to have of your grandmothers and what great girls you have to give you such a huge surprise. The design on these chairs is something I have never seen before. I love potato bines and in the new house I will finally be able to plant some. No critters to eat them.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your entry way is soooooo gorgeous......your flowers are beautiful!!!! Love your new little iron benches too!!! Wishing you and your husband a very Happy Anniversary :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a lovely and welcoming entry to your beautiful home. Yes, there were many southern ladies with southern gardens boasting a set of ornate southern furniture. I am so glad you were able to get this gorgeous, ornate set with all the many years of memories and associations that you can now enjoy and share with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, Shenita, that is sme entry...Absolutely stunning! You have created a beautiful, welcoming look for whoever visits your home. Sweet potato vine is so pretty in the summer. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! I plant sweet potato vines every year but not this year... I love the color and they grow like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My Mom had those in white - reminds me of her...but I absolutely LOVE you made them black - what a great idea. It looks so much more "right" in your awesome frontway, You have awesome curb appeal!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous entrance and furniture, Shenita! So pretty and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is sure 'nuff curb appeal!!! I love it! I love the sweet potato vines. So lush! I use them every year, too. If it ain't broke...! :-) I saw where someone in our neighborhood used them on a slope as kind of a ground cover one year. LOVED the look, but have never tried to duplicate it.

    Your Grandmother's set is beautiful! Rustoleum paint, huh? That might be the answer to my wrought iron furniture dilemma. I don't want to have to do a lot of scrubbing with an iron brush to remove minor tarnish. Will the Rustoleum get me off the hook? I sure hope so! Anything having to do with painting is already painful enough for me!!! The humidity has set in here, so I may not get a chance to address the situation this year at all. :-(

    Your entry is all that and a side of fries!!!!!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. We recently moved into a new house (new to us!), and the previous owners left several planters for the front. I've been struggling with what to plant in them. Now I'm going to "steal" your ideas! LOVE the sweet potato vine! And it will look nice with the red geraniums I've already planted.

    ReplyDelete
  35. How very beautiful Shenita!!!...and how so nice that your daughters brought you those gorgeous garden chairs and settee...Such a wonderful thing to have your grandmother's chairs on your front porch....Can't imagine how fabulous they look in person too!....the entry is looking good....really good..."friends" and family will feel so very welcomed as they approach your front door!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for including me as an inspiration blog. So kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful! Your entry is a tribute to all the patriotic holidays of the summer.
    Love the vintage furniture. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful front porch on Best of the Nest! I've never heard of using sweet potato vines for outdoor greenery but I love the look! And it's so special that you were able to incorporate your grandmother's cast iron chairs. I'm sure she would love what you've done to them!

    ReplyDelete
  39. First...what a lovely surprise to see you popping by to visit while I was on vacation! I love the vintage benches and in White they look Great Gatsby now! Your entry to your house looks awesome, so pretty and so patriotic!
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks beautiful!! I especially love your Grandmother's Wrought iron Furniture!!
    And I love it painted black!! It took on a totally different look!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful Shenita!!! What a fantastic Mother's Day surprise for you! I swear you have the most thoughtful family and they obviously LOVE you to pieces!!! The entry is stunning just as the lady who graces the home. Happy anniversary and wishing a wonderful weekend!!!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love, love, love! Happy Anniversary!! Such a great testimony! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to the party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/06/make-it-pretty-monday-week-102.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the party. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very pretty Shenita! We have had a lot of rain too. Thanks for linking with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete