Monday, August 13, 2012

DIY Magnetic Makeup Board

Happy Friday! I hope you are excited for the weekend! Even though this post is about a DIY project that I am going to share with you... 




I also wanted to show you what I have been living with for the past few WEEKSAs I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, our girls are leaving for college this weekend. As many of you know, when it comes to sending the kids off to college, your home can become an 'explosion' of shopping bags, totes, refrigerators, microwaves, etc. 

Exhibit A...this used to be my home office! LOL!!!! 
(And this is only for one child!!)
The only thing that I still recognize is the area rug on the floor!
We've used this room as the "drop off" center, since it is closest to the garage. It will make loading up a bit easier. The refrigerators and microwaves are in the garage.

Okay, brace yourself...


And this is just a small portion of everything that is in the room!
(Fortunately, we can just close the french doors and no one sees the mess!)


Exhibit B...ONE of their bedrooms!
(And this is only one section...)

The girls leave on Sunday; and you know me...by Monday morning, the house will be SPOTLESS!! Guaranteed! This is driving me absolutely insane! LOL!

Now, along with the endless shopping for dorm decor and clothes, the girls also enjoy crafting.  By now, many of you may have seen the numerous magnetic makeup boards circulating on Pinterest...

magnetic makeup board
via Pinterest


via Pinterest

 Inspired by the one above, my oldest daughter decided to make one for her dorm room. She still wants to add the mini chalkboards...

(My daughter's version)

They are really easy to make.  We bought a picture frame, magnets, and fabric from Hobby Lobby, all for 50% off.  Then, we went across the street, to Home Depot, for an inexpensive piece of sheet metal. The nice young men who worked there, took the time to cut it to our specifications. When we got home, my daughter simply covered the sheet metal with her fabric, placed it inside the frame, and backed it with heavy duty cardboard. She attached magnets to all of her cosmetics and stuck them to her board.
Unfortunately, I didn't get photos of each step. 
(I didn't think I would get around to blogging in all of this chaos!) 

My youngest daughter also got crafty and revamped this photo display board that we found at Hobby Lobby. It was already on sale for 50% off; but, it was missing many of the feathers around the perimeter. Additionally, several of the buttons were missing.  The store associates graciously reduced the price even more, due to the additional damages. We went back to the crafting section and purchased a feather boa of a different style; and bought replacement buttons to add a little bit of "bling". 
With her trusty hot glue gun in hand, my daughter tore off the original feathered trim, removed the 2 or 3 buttons that remained, and went to work!



This is her new display board!

I think both girls did a fantastic job; and they will have some fabulous additions to their dorm rooms!

Thanks so much for stopping by today; and I hope that you have a great weekend!!

Tuesday To Do Party
DIY by Design-Sizzle into Summer
From My Front Porch To Yours-Treasure Hunt Thursday
Southern Lovely-Show and Share
Ivy and Elephants-What's It Wednesday
StoneGable-Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits
Kristen's Creations-Share Your Creations
Katherine's Corner-Thursday Favorite Things
At The Picket Fence-Inspiration Friday
2805: Potpourri Friday

35 comments:

  1. I have to say I'm Happy to see these pictures.

    Ya know they say its bloggie rule 407-a-233-dfe-665 //no showing messy pics rolf.

    so that that you've broken the rule above- I can too..

    My living room is FULL with stuff/furniture/more stuff/ fabric/ beddings sets that are going off to the donation center.
    its a ROYAL MESS much worse than what you posted here..

    thanks for making me feel so much better..
    Now lets have a race to see who can get cleaned up first after the STUFF is gone.. ok wait - no fair- mine doesnt leave till late afternoon Monday so you'll get the jump on me..

    Good luck sweetie.. I know exactly how ya feel looking around at all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where have I been? I've never seen these before! Such a great idea for a teen. Everything is so neatly organized and displayed. I know you must be VERY busy with getting your daughters settled in their dorms. Such an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shenita,
    I have not seen these boards, but think they are a fantastic idea. Your girl's did a great job on them.

    I just know you'll have the girl's rooms in tip top shape. Hope the girl's have a great year at college. =) XOXO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice idea. My daughters should do something like this. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these great projects by your girls...they are both talented and I know they get it from their mama. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can identify, my daughter moves back to college Monday, and boy, do we have a mess here too! ha! :) Your daughters have made some really cute projects for their rooms! Hope the move-in goes smoothly for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to keep things organized in a small space!!!! Have fun settling your daughter in at college :o)
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh girl I feel for you!! My husbands sister has to keep her stuff here during the summer and one of our rooms is FULL of her stuff I cant handle it either so I just shut the door lol I know you will have it spotless soon!! Empty nesters???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah I love the boards that they both did SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shenita, what an exciting and crazy time for you. If you have time I would love for you to share this post over at our Friday Block Party! LOVE the makeup board, great job! http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/08/friday-block-party-13-come-join-us.html
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I reember those days. And, yes, knowing you the house WILL bs spotless, probably before they are into their rooms:):) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! How exciting to shop for your girls and get them packed and ready. I'm looking forward to the day (or am I?), since I will have two boys in college at the same time, when the time comes. Right now, the most I have to deal with is putting my 5 year old daughter on the bus for the first time. Luckily, one of her older brother's will be with her every step of the way. Now I'm placing bets on when my tears will stop! BTW, the girls did an awesome job on their crafts! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What fun and stylish projects.
    I'm sure you'll miss your daughters. Looks like you had a great time getting them ready for school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very crafty girls, indeed! Funny, my daughter just asked for a magnetic make-up board, guess they really are all the rage! Once you're done cleaning up your house please feel free to head on over to mine! lol Good luck on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful and saves so much space. My daughters room drove me crazy when she began packing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great crafts! I love those boards! Such a neat idea! Don't worry about the mess, it will be over soon. I remember those days! It can get a little overwhelming! And it is not over for me. I still have one more to go! Good luck to your girls in their new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. woow...that´s a great job.....and saves much space :)
    and do not miss

    T
    H
    E

    S
    U
    M
    M
    E
    R
    P
    A
    R
    T
    Y

    It is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a cool idea, and a great way to organize.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I know that by Monday...the house will be back in perfect condition...and your daughters did a great job on the make up board and display board....yes, they are crafty....the apples do not fall far from the tree!!...Good luck to the girls....and I know you will be a little sad when they are off to school...but I know that you will focused on your many projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Creativity runs in your family. You daughter did a great job on her makeup board. Wishing you daughters the best as they leave for school.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Shenita, Its been awhile but I remember all that shopping before sending them away to school. Actually, I still miss it. Looks like you've got it all under control too. Love the make up board, your daughter did a great job. I love how there are so many options for organization now. I know you will miss your little girl…………

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh My! I love that idea, and I haven't seen those on Pinterest! Love the fabric choice your daughter made!! So cute! Hope you're doing ok today...I can't imagine that day just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are so cute & would be perfect for any young girl's room!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How creative, fun and a way to stay organized! They both did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awwww...I remember the house looking like that when BDJ left for school! The good news is that it is temporary :) Love the magnetic board you have inspired me to make one for my daughter. Your daughters are very talented! Best wishes to them for a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea Shenita! Thanx for sharing at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have been a very busy gal! Thank you for sharing your charming project at Potpourri Friday at 2805! Brace yourself for a quiet house.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Shenita,
    Thank you so much for linking up to last week's Friday Block Party at Curb Alert! I would love for you to link up again this week. The party is up and running, hope to see you there! http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/08/sneak-peek-at-my-week-friday-block.html
    TGIF ~ Tami

    ReplyDelete
  29. always something wonderful at your blog. Hugs and thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fantastic is that! Hopefully the transition will go well with the girls leaving. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had not seen these yet! Going to show this to my girls and maybe make one or two for them! :D Three Mango Seeds

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL, I missed yours, too, Shenita! : ) This is a great idea and my daughter mentioned liking this idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't know where I have been but this is all new to me and I love the idea and will be featuring your post this next week on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    pr

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love to do something like this for my 10yr old. She'd love it!

    It's party time at Debt Free Mommy blog and you're invited! Please join us and link up with Making Space Mondays, where we link up any post(s)about making our space better. We hope to see you there! -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete