Thursday, August 9, 2012

Awesome Goodwill Find!

Happy Wednesday!! Hope you're having a great week! Earlier this summer, one of my daughters and I decided to spend some time thrifting. We stopped in a new Goodwill store, that I had just discovered the previous week. We were just about to leave, when a very unique platter caught my eye. Initially, it was the color that appealed to me; but, as I inspected it closely, it appeared to be a handmade piece.  For me, part of the thrill of thrifting is finding unique accessories, to incorporate into my decor.



The detail was just wonderful!


I flipped it over and noticed a stamp on the back...LOV Pottery, LLC of Mississippi. 



Wow, made in the South!! Even better!!!

Well, for 79¢, I was not going to pass it up! When I got home, I went online to see what I could find out about the piece and discovered this website for LOV Pottery, LLC. They have some of the most gorgeous pieces; and the owner's story is really fascinating. These beautiful pieces are sold in fine home decor shops in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina, and Tennessee. I contacted the owner to see what the piece retails for, as I would love to acquire a few more. Well, let's just say...it retails for a LOT more than 79¢! LOL! We realized that it must have been gifted to someone; as they don't have retailers in the state of Texas.

Just goes to show...you never know what you may find at your local thrift stores!!  Thanks so much for stopping by today; and 
Happy Thrifting!!!

***UPDATE: A sweet blog visitor, Bev of Tablescapes by Bev, noticed that the platter looked like the shape of the state of Mississippi, turned on it's side. I went back and looked on the LOV Pottery site, and noticed that there is, indeed, a "Mississippi" section that features a plate that looks a lot like mine!!

via LOV Pottery
So, if I turn my photo on its side, this is what I get!



Would you look at that?! It is, indeed, the state of Mississippi!!


Linking To:

No Minimalist Here-Open House Party
From My Front Porch To Yours-Treasure Hunt Thursday
Katherine's Corner-Thursday Favorite Things
The Thrifty Groove-Thrifty Things Friday
2805: Potpourri Friday
The Charm of Home-Home Sweet Home
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating-Flaunt It Friday
Debbiedoo's Newbie Party with a Twist
Coastal Charm-Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Ivy and Elephants-What's It Wednesday
Curb Alert-Friday Block Party

37 comments:

  1. wow, thats pretty~!

    congrats on a great new treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool piece, Shenita. The price is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely piece and so unique. What a wonderful bargain you got yourself there. Well worth more than 79 cents! I wonder how they come up with a list price at thrift stores? I never find anything nice like this. It found a wonderful home.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great platter, Shenita!!!! What an awesome find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you, finding such a great piece and at a thrifty price as well! Good eye, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shenita, what an awesome price for such a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that platter! And the detail is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that piece. I don't have such good luck at my GW....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome platter! My local thrift store usually doesn't have anything very interesting. And when they do the prices seem high to me. Once I saw a handmade item there that I donated to a charity! That was interesting, but not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous find! It is so pretty and original and the color is beautiful! You are so right! You never know what you will find at GW. Some people donate items and they don't even know the value of it. So happy for you that you found such a great treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shenita~
    What a wonderful, beautiful find!! If I had seen that piece I would have purchased it, too! I'm so happy you are posting again, I have "really" missed you! =) XOXO ~Liz
    P.S. Way to score, only 79 cents.... A M A Z I N G!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about that?! You really found something wonderful. I can't believe the deal you got on it too. I'm sure even in an antique or consignment shop it would've sold for more than 79 cents! It's very pretty and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Club G.W. never ceases to amaze me! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right, Shenita. Some people have found rare and expensive things while thrifting. Enjoy your pretty plate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just love it when you score big when thrifting? Great plate. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty Shenita, such a gorgeous color! You did good!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a beautiful piece! You did well on that purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky you ~ I don't seem to have that kind of luck at mine, maybe I need to stop in more often:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a bargain! I will have to check them out and see where in Mississippi they are located.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely an unusal shape, but I love the color and detailing on it, Shenita! What a great find for $.79!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty piece! I love the color it would go great in my bedroom :) What a score for .79!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Shenita...79 cents?.....You truly found a gorgeous treasure...at that price it was practically free!!...Such a beautiful color to add to your decor!!....Love the blue!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would have snatched that platter up as well! What a gorgeous find and an amazing price!! Thank you for sharing at TTF. have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a very interesting piece. What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It certainly looks more expensive than.79!!! Wow, what a fabulous find! Beautiful...Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beyond gorgeous!! I've been seeing all the cool things that people are finding at their thrift stores and it has me itching to go!!! Just so much other stuff to do!!! I love that piece. You did good!

    Jaye @ Just Tryin' to Make Cents of it All

    ReplyDelete
  27. Marvelous find, Shenita! It's so much fun when you find something you really like and then discover it's really something special.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful piece and at such a great price! I love finding some special treasures like that. Just shows that one persons junk is another persons treasure! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a really neat piece, very pretty! And sounds like it was a super price!

    Great to see you posting again! Hope your girls have a great year at school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. 79 cents? that's amazing, and i love the color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I believe that is the state of Mississippi. You have it on its side, so hard for me to tell. Yes, it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow!!! You scored on that one. Can't wait to see what else you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. .79 cents??? That is amazing! I would have grabbed that up too. :) Found your blog at the Thrifty Groove. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on a great find at an even great price! We have some wonderful potters here in Mississippi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How cool is that! You got a super buy for 79 cents!!! Every time I go to town I stop at Goodwill because you just never know what you may find!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a cool piece Shenita. So happy to see you again linking up to my parties. Glad to have you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I Love that pottery, it is such a cool piece to have :) the color is gorgeous too!
    Francine

    ReplyDelete