Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Fresh Start

Now that the Christmas decorations are all put away, I can really look at my home with a fresh perspective.  Have you noticed that once the decorations are gone, your home can feel a little bare? To be honest, it doesn't really bother me, because it allows me to look at things from a different point of view.  It's like I have a blank slate to work with. Suddenly, everything feels clean and fresh! I tend to go just a little lighter with my decor after the holidays.  I minimize the coffee table decor first; and then, I rearrange the mantel.  


This year, I want to incorporate natural greens and flowers, as opposed to a lot of the silk florals.  For some reason, I have a new obsession with succulents. I just love the array of colors available, as well as the texture that they provide. And the fact that they are low maintenance just seals the deal!


I definitely want to keep the Tuscan vibe going, but I want a more organic feel.  I'll continue to use lots of warm colors, inspired by the Tuscan countryside; but, I'd like to add more of the citrus hues, as well.




via


The first thing I do, after the holidays, is "shop my home". Before I spend a single penny of those gift cards, burning my pockets, I search the house for items to get me started. I love moving things from other rooms and giving them a new home. Today, I'm sharing the mantel and the coffee table decor.  



I've decided to keep the lanterns on the mantel, through the Winter; and return them, to the patio, in the Spring.  I love the cozy feel that they give, especially, when we aren't using the fireplace. After removing all of the holiday decor, I simply added a metal container from the dining room, which was used for my centerpiece there.  



I love the color and the scroll detail, which mimics the detail on the mantel.  




I simply filled it with hydrangeas, and added pheasant feathers for texture.  (As soon as Dear Hubby came in, he commented on how pretty they are and how wonderful they smell!) As a Southern girl, hydrangeas are my faves! They will look wonderful on the mantel, even as they dry. Then, I added a single candlestick with a mosaic votive holder and my harlequin glass jar, with its fleur de lis top.




As for the coffee table, I kept it pretty simple.  I removed the throw that I scrunched up for the holidays, to let the natural stone of the coffee table show. I arranged two small stacks of my favorite coffee table books, along with some mosaic votive holders, and an urn, dripping with grapes.  The 'centerpiece' is nothing more than an iron bowl and some spheres, with artichokes added for color. I like the mosaic votive holders, on the coffee table, all lit up at night. Very warm and cozy!



 That's it for today. Tomorrow, I plan to rearrange my entry table and get a new look going. Hopefully, I'll have something to share in the next day or so!


In the meantime, have a great day; and Happy Decorating!!


Linking to:
Potentially Beautiful-Winter Mantel Party
Home Is Where My Story Begins-Home and Family Friday
The Charm Of Home-Home Sweet Home
2805: Potpourri Friday
Happy Hour Projects-Freestyle Friday
At The Picket Fence-Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage-Feathered Nest Friday
Kristen's Creations-Share Your Creations
BNOTP-Tablescape Thursday
House of Hepworths-Hookin Up With HoH
The ArtsyGirl Connection-Pininspirational Thursday
No Minimalist Here-Open House Party
Mom On Timeout-Taking Timeout Thursdays
A Stroll Thru Life-Table Top Tuesday
Southern Lovely-Show and Share
Ivy and Elephants-What's It Wednesday
The Shady Porch-Rock N Share
Savvy Southern Style-Wow Us Wednesday
DIY by Design-Winter Blues Wednesday
Primp: Primp Your Stuff Wednesday

38 comments:

  1. Your winter decor transformation looks great! It is fun to bring the home back and to shop what you have! I hope you have a great week,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good, lookin' good!! Like your idea of shopping home first! I try to do that too and it's amazing at all the new 'junk' I find!!
    Thanks for the lovely comments you left on my little blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lanterns and hydrangeas are gorgeous! I'd keep them up all year. I'm with you on the real plants, trying to get rid of some fake greenery and use fresh instead. Posting about one of those tomorrow! Everything looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home looks beautiful! I know what you mean about things feeling bare. As soon as I took down my Christmas decorations, I was like, ok - now what? Happy New Year to you!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so pretty. I love starting with a clean slate after Christmas too. It feels like a time of renewal, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shenita, the mantle looks great! I love your style any time of year so I can't wait to see what's next!!,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shenita, I have died and gone to Tuscan Heaven. Your home is so beautifully decorated. I adore those lanterns on your mantle, and your coffee table display is lovely. You give me so many ideas, thank you! xo ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good, Shenita! I agree with you, I am in the process of swapping things around for a new look and haven't spent a penny! Love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My house is bare too, I actually kind of miss it becuase I have to figure out how to decorate again .LOL. I love those lanterns,so pretty!
    Happy New year!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. My holiday decorations are coming down this weekend and yes it always feel a little bare. I love succulents too they are my new favorite item for the garden. Will have to wait for spring, we had a snow storm this weekend, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I can just tell you that in the midst of all this beauty, I can totally see that you are a Lousiana girl at heart!!! I LOVE your style, your home, and your JOY of creating!!! xo
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks great, Shenita! I love the lanterns on the mantel. The give a warm feel for Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shenita, your home looks gorgeous! Your mantle looks stunning! I love your style! My home is feeling so empty now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, looks gorgeous! Your home always looks amazing! Yay for a new year! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the rest of us to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I share your view! My home does look bare, too, after the Holidays, but it is nice to start fresh with new eyes and a clean slate! ---Can't wait to see what you do with the succulents!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree! Taking Christmas decor down helps give a total new look. I'm in the process of doing the same. Love your lanterns. I have some on my mantel too. You have everything looking so fresh but cozy at the same time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh everything looks soooooooo good. I love it when we can start fresh and play. Beautiful vignettes and decor. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love seeing your beautiful home Shenita. I like your idea of shopping the house. I do that also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Shenita,

    I cannot wait to "tear down" the decorations. Having company right after Christmas put me a tad behind in that department. Everything looks wonderful as always. I just love to rearrange all my accessories after the holidays..As you said, starting with a fresh look after the holidays and all the glitz...

    ReplyDelete
  21. HI Shenita! We are just getting all the Christmas decor down and packed up now. It is a daunting job, kinda like MOVING!!! Your home is SO beautiful, I just love your style. Can't wait to see what all you do. WHERE did you get real hydrangeas at this time of year? Goegeous. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Shenita! I love your lanterns. I've been trying to find one like that, but haven't as of yet! I love the hydrangeas on the mantle, too...so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shenita, I love the coziness of your mantel. So warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your home looks so yummy and warm. I'm with you on the lanterns too. They just give those cold winter months an extra boost. Enjoy your new clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is always fun to decorate after the holidays but unfortuntely, I won't be able to do that for a while since my stay in FL with the kids lingers. But I will have a lot of fun when I get back in Feb/ You did a great job with the mantel and coffee table. Very pretty, Shenita....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your style! I am in the middle of packing up Christmas decorations but I am keeping one of my trees up and re-decorating it for Mardi Gras!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment! And thanks for following me. I am now following you and can't wait to see what you have planned for tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a beautiful home...what a warm and cozy atmosphere!
    I love your taste...and I agree, the hydrangeas and pheasant feathers are a beautiful way to decorate. I love using them in my designs.
    I'm so happy to have found your blog!
    Happy New Year!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Shenita, I feel the same way after taking my Christmas stuff down. It just feels open and clean and I really enjoy it. it's a new beginning for your home. Your mantel looks beautiful, so warm and inviting and I can't wait to see how you add a more organic twist to things
    Marianne :).

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is truly fabulous as always! And I love hydrangeas, too!!!! You are fast...already with the Christmas decor put away! We're having a little after Christmas get together/party, so ours stays up until the end of the month...at least that's my excuse for not putting it away yet! :)

    Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/Hugs/Blessings,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your blog is SO inspiring. I love looking at the rooms in your home, so comfortable and well done. I did the same thing today...shopped my home! I love your wire basket with the artichokes, etc. along with so many things I see in your picutres!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  31. After the decorations are down, my home looks so bare! It is fun cleaning out and fluffing! Such a beautiful room and mantle Shenita...love your lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your home is beautiful and we all do the same thing try to rearrange our homes after the holiday bling is gone for another year.
    I have a small house and need to get rid of some furniture but I like it all maybe i will just store it downstairs for a while(sorry thinking out loud)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree, it's nice to get the decorations down and have a fresh start. I'm working on that myself at the moment. Happy New Year! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  34. Following you via Freestyle Friday

    http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's fun to see things in a new way in the new year. I've mostly packed away. Still in a bit of transition.

    ReplyDelete
  36. your transformation into Winter looks wonderful! I certainly agree with you that moving things around you already own is the place to start!

    Thank you for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a gorgeous, cosy spot you've created.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Pin'Inspiration Thursday last week. Hope to see you back again this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. So beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete