Thursday, November 17, 2011

'Tis The Season To Be Crafting...

 I don't think of myself as a 'crafty' person; but, I do like to wield a spray paint can, or a paint brush, and transform things to fit my decor. As you may recall, I promised that I would share with you how I could incorporate my thrift finds into my holiday decorating.  This sleigh is one of those items:




You may remember that I found this pewter sleigh at the Salvation Army thrift store for $3.99!  It was in perfect condition; but, as usual, the finish was wrong for my decor. The solution? A quick coat of Rustoleum Metallic Antique Brass spray paint!




Ahhhh, that's better! Now, how shall I decorate it?  Hmmmmm...



Shortly after I got married, I began collecting African-American Santas. (That was 21 years ago, so you can imagine the collection I have acquired.) Every year, I try to get at least one new one, to add to my collection.  Last week, at Garden Ridge, I happened to find this one that was designed to be seated. His facial expression really caught my eye; and I immediately thought of the sleigh!  (He looked as if he could use some transportation!  I mean, he does have all of those presents to deliver!)  So, I put him in my cart and brought him home to play "dress up".  LOL!




Ok, did I ever mention that I'm a bit of a tease?  He'll be back in a couple of weeks!  LOL!
(Have a great day!!)


Linking to:
Tiaras and Bowties-Awesome Inspirations

23 comments:

  1. Shenita, yes, you are a tease, a delightful one!
    Can't wait to see the finished creation.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new color of the sleigh is perfect. Can't wait to see the end result!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to seeing the reveal!

    ~Mrs. Delightful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you get the best deals. Our thrift shop is wayyy over priced.
    Can't wait to see how you display your Santa collection.
    I had started collecting the Dept.56 villages, but they soon took over. I have to display them all over the house. Not to mention it takes one closet just to store them. LOL Some years I do not even bother pulling them out, but after seeing your Santa, I am inspired to pull out my village.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! i'd say you are crafty! and a little bit of a tease too! can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Santa an how the sleigh turned out!
    Now quit teasing us and show us what you did with them. ;0)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sleigh turned out great. I can see why this Santa caught your eye - his face is great. Are you really gonna make us wait weeks?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your santa! Hope we get to see some more of them, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Santa! looks great. Congrats on the Etsy Shop as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sleigh turned out great! The santa looks cute in there! You are a tease! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the sleigh. Great idea to add your new Santa. I hope we get to see some of your collection in the upcoming weeks!

    You are a tease, girl! I want to see the whole arrangement. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see the finished decor. You found a cute santa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bad girl! Leaving us hanging like that. Can't wait to see how it will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is cute I am looking for an angel now.Cant wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool! I would say you are crafty! I love your Santa, he is so cute. I bet you have a fabulous collection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love sleigh's! Can't wait to see your Santa collection. Hubby has a patient that collects Santa's also. We went to see them last year, and does she have a collection! She has even been on our local news at Christmas time. We need to hook you two up. I actually did a post on her last year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that color spray paint and I actually wondered when I saw the can at a local store what the finish would end up looking like. Now I've got to get a can even though spray painting days don't come often in the winter here in Oregon.

    Love your santas and can't wait to see the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darn it! I was ready to see him sitting there!! He is an attractive one! I look forward to seeing him all decked out in his new sleigh! The antique brass finish was a perfect choice! Here comes Santa Claus...here comes Santa Claus... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. NOT FAIR!!! LOL Can't wait to see, but I'm sure whatever you do will be be over-the-top good. You just have "The Touch".

    Blessings,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so impressed that you are so on the ball with your Christmas decor! I haven't even thought about it!!!! Much less done anything! With Thanksgiving at my house, I think I just need to get through next week first. Then maybe I'll be better prepared! :)
    Hope you and your family have a very blessed Thanksgiving, Shenita!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your little sleigh, it looks wonderful in it's new color! Like what I saw of your Santa, can't wait to see more!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love this realistic Santa and his sleigh! Thanks for linking up to my first ever Awesome Inspirations by You link @ tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi lovely lady.
    Your little sleigh looks wonderful this color !!
    This would look beautiful all dress up for Christmas for your centerpiece on your table.
    I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comment on my new tablescape for Thanksgiving.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete