Monday, November 14, 2011

Thinking Outside The Box

How did I get to this?



From this?




How many times have you bought an item for it's intended purpose; but, along the way, you saw something that inspired you to "think outside the box"?  Well, a few weeks ago, I shared with you, one of the treasures that left the Salvation Army thrift store with me.  It was this silver casserole holder, missing its glass insert. At $3.99, it was still a bargain!





It was nice, heavy silver...slightly tarnished; but, I fell in love with all of its pretty details. I thought I would just polish it up, and buy a new dish.  Well, Karen, of Lady Bug Creek, referred me back to her post, "Silver Casserole Holders-New Use".  Hers were also missing the glass inserts.

Well, my little wheels started spinning; and I remembered that we had some old decanters, in the top cabinet, that we were not using.  I washed them up and decided to put them to use. (For about $1, you can also find these decanters in thrift stores.)


In my last post,  I used some of the peppers that Dear Hubby had harvested from our vegetable garden, as a part of my fireside tablescape. The next day, some of the peppers were chopped up and put in the freezer, to cook with later.  But, I also saved some for this little project.


In the South, one of the things that we make is "Pepper Sauce", from the abundance of peppers in our gardens.  It's most commonly used as a condiment, on our veggies, at the dinner table. However, it's also great on fish or anything else that you would use Tabasco or hot sauce on. It just adds a little "kick"!

It is super simple to make, as you only need 2 ingredients: vinegar and peppers.  

You can just cut the ends off of the peppers, if you'd like to use them whole; or you can slice them up.  I prefer slicing mine to get all of the seeds into my mixture.  (The seeds hold the spice!) 
                               

Simply stuff any decorative jar (or in this case, the decanters), with your choice of peppers.  I like to mix mine, for a mosaic of color.  Isn't that pretty?


While you are filling your bottles with peppers, bring your vinegar to a boil...


Then, just pour the hot vinegar, into your container, over the peppers.  Seal the container; and let the peppers sit for 2-3 weeks to really get the flavor going!



I've displayed my decanters here, in the silver casserole holder, along with some of my decorative bottles. It's a little 'corral' for them! Up front, the decanters are easily accessible for use; and I think all of the colors make a lovely addition to the countertop! With the holidays approaching, this could also be an inexpensive Christmas gift, hostess gift, or housewarming gift.  Simply add a pretty bow or tassel; and you are good to go!


And, speaking of tassels...I also wanted to share the talents of one of my favorite blog friends, Allyson, of No Place Like our Home!  Allyson has been hard at work on these gorgeous tassels that she custom made for me.


(I'll be sharing these with you again, in a couple of weeks...hint, hint!)

I showed them to some of my friends, and well...let's just say, Allyson is in creative mode right now!  


This one is for a friend, with a 'New Orleans-inspired' home:


And these were made for a friend, with a blue and chocolate bedroom...


Please stop by Allyson's blog and see her incredible talent on display!  She customizes each tassel to your color scheme, with your choice of design. I'm sure you will want to get some for yourself!

Well, that's it for today! I hope you have found something to inspire you. Have a great day!


Linking to:
Tiaras and Bowties-Awesome Inspirations
The Thrifty Groove-Thrifty Things Friday
The 36th Avenue-Party Time
Creation Corner-Friday Link Party
Happy Hour Projects-Freestyle Friday
Passionately Perfect-Coffee and Conversation Thursday
The Artsy Girl Connection-Pin'Inspirational Thursday
From My Front Porch To Yours-Treasure Hunt Thursday
Passionately Artistic
No Minimalist Here-Open House Party
The Kurtz Corner-Link Party
DIY by Design-Fall Into Fall
{Primp}: Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Charm Bracelet Diva-Club Goodwill Tuesday
Type A Decorating-Anything Goes
The Blackberry Vine-Tuesday To Do
House of Grace-Twice Owned Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life-Tabletop Tuesday
Coastal Charm-Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Sumo's Sweet Stuff-Market Yourself Monday
Colours Dekor
Be Colorful-Motivated Monday
The Southern Institute-Creative Me Monday
Under The Table and Dreaming-Sunday Showcase Party
BNOTP-Metamorphosis Monday
You're Talking Too Much-Meet Me Monday
Dittle Dattle-Amaze Me Monday
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers' Hop
Debbiedoo's Newbie Party

46 comments:

  1. Hi Shenita,
    LOVE your decanters with such colorful pepper sauce! Being a Texas girl, I grew up eating this stuff on blackeyed peas and turnip greens. :) I must say, the stuff we had was no where near as beautiful as yours! You've just elevated pepper sauce to a whole new level!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you used it for something totally different than what it was intended for it turned out so cool! Thanks for showcasing me on your gorgeous blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine you thinking "outside the box"! I have just always used my plain old mason jars, not pretty jars like you did, but will use your idea next year. Loving the tassels, and can't wait to see what you are doing. I can only imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shenita, Great idea using the casserole holder for your decanters. Pepper sauce is a staple in our house and putting it in pretty decanters would elevate it's status. Yours looks really pretty.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use for your thrift store find! I've never heard of this type of sauce, but it sounds interesting and you are right, it would make the perfect hostess gift! Thanks for sharing the how-to. Allyson does such a great job on her tassels. I frequent her blog quite often as she is really great at decorating as well and I get a lot of decorating inspiration from her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shenita, I have two of those casserole holders and have been going round and round in my head trying to figure out what to do with them. Using them to corral things is brilliant. That pepper sauce sounds really yummy and is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a clever use for that casserole holder! It looks good with your pepper vinegars inside it. Gosh, you could use that just about anywhere. Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to make those vinegars too. You're right about that making a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use the casserole holder! I wonder how many people passed it over because the dish was missing. You thought outside the box, and ended up with something useful, unique & pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Shenita, what a neat idea, and so colorful too. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to see items repurposed, and this was a very clever choice! :)

    Loving those tassels! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you thought outside of the box ... it looks wonderful ... turned it into a beautiful display! Love the tassel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you did with your peppers! Great job! And, I'm very interested in the tassles...
    http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-down-sunday-i-aint-ready-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pepper sauce sounds really good! I have got to try that! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have found so many of those casserole holders recently and I look at how beautiful they are, but I don't make casseroles, so I pass them up! ;) This inspires me to try something new, I will pass it along it I find another and repurpose it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shenita, you are so innovative, you are brilliant! What a great way to use pretty decorative jars. Well done! Oh, and yes, I love Allyson's tassels, so pretty. xoxo ~Liz

    P.S. Thank you for the nice comment on my blog post. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is beautiful! I just bought a couple of those casserole holders at the Goodwill TODAY, not even kidding! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your peppers look so colorful. I love your idea for the silver holder. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The garden peppers look so pretty in the decanters. Love how you display them in the casserole dish holder.
    The tassels Ally made are very pretty, too. Love the crosses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shenita, I love your cheap but gorgeous thrift store item finds! You have such great eye for spotting beautiful treasures and turning them into prettier purpose!

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  20. Allyson's tassels are beautiful, and I love your silver casserole holder solution!
    Have a lovely day, Shenita!
    ~ Wendi ~ xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your decanters look soooo festive Shenita! Since I am from the Tassles blog, naturaaly I think those tassels are devine!

    Veronica
    Tassles Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete
  22. I almost want to smell these.. They turned out so awesome.. Very creative : ))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant! I love what you did with your SA find. VERY PRETTY vignette.

    Have a blessed week!
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea, Shenita, especially during the holidays. Love the tassels, too. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your decanters are looking lovely thanks for sharing
    anandhirajan
    http://anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea for the use of the casserole holder. I love thinking outside the box and finding different uses for things. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is cool...love it.

    Nayana@CherishDreamLive

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely peppers will try that soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the pepper decanters! What a great idea that is also pretty. I am a new GFC and FB follower from Sumo's Sweet Stuff. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  30. The tassels are beautiful and I plan to check them out!

    Love your "corral" idea! I have a couple of those silver corrals & this is a terrific way to put them to use.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wanted to come by for a visit before I go to bed. I just got in from playing Bunco. I'll have to make your "Pepper Sauce". It sounds really good and I love all things tasseled (I'm not real sure that's a word.LOL)

    Blessings,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  32. How beautiful that tray looks with your pretty pepper jars! Thanks for visiting my blogs and following. I have signed up to follow you too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Okay Shenita you'll laugh at this. My husband has a magazine called, "What on Earth" and it has some tee shirts with sayings on them. He's reading some of them to me and he read one that said "I hate it when my cat thinks outside the box" and I had just read your blog and thought you'd see the humor.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  34. U r so creative,,,thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  35. The peppers look gorgeous.. soooooooooo pretty.. Your home is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That really does look so pretty with all the colors of the peppers, Shenita! The decanters are so pretty, too, and make for a wonderful holder.

    ReplyDelete
  37. what a great idea! Isn't it fun to come with something different! It really looks great! The tassels are gorgeous! Will go over and check her out!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous tassels! I ♥ anything with a fleur de lis, cross or crown Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh you do my southern heart good with this wonderful post. I LOVE pepper sauce on just about everything. I never even thought about making my own, but now I'm willing to give it a shot. Yours has such great color. Love the silver casserole to display them as well. Yummy!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well how fun is this. I have seen several of those silver servers at GW and would never have thought to use them in such a creative way. Love the decanters and the pepper sauce sounds wonderful. I have to remember that. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  41. Good Morning,

    I bought some bottles at Ross yesterday and I want to make your Pepper Sauce to give out as Christmas Presents. Do I use just regular white distilled vinegar? Do you know how long it takes before it goes bad (or does it)? Does it need to be refrigerated? So many questions, I know. lol

    Thanks Shenita,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is sooo creative!!!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. What fun ideas - the pepper sauce in the pretty decanters, and the silver corral for them! Love the way you think outside the box. Those tassels are gorgeous. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the idea of using the silver to corral your lovely decanters! I would have never thought to use it as is. Your pepper sauce sounds wonderful! Love how colorful it is, too. Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays Party and would love for you to drop by and share something you made / did / bought sometime Before Blogging. Can't wait to see what you bring to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oooh Thanks for sharing all your creativeness on Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    Your resourcefulness with the silver casserole is inspiring and the tassels your friend made are really great.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  46. You never cease to amaze me! Thanks for linking up with Awesome Inspirations by You!

    ReplyDelete