Friday, October 28, 2011

Bringing What's Outdoors In...


With a drastic drop in temperature, over the past couple of days, I decided to bring in some things from the patio area. One of those things was this iron shelf, that I got from Hobby Lobby, a couple of years ago.  I normally use it, on the covered patio, to hold things like plants, lanterns, and decorative accents.  I decided to bring it in today, and use it in my foyer. The deep bronze color is a perfect match to the foyer chandelier.



I started searching the house for items that I could just move around. However, the first thing I knew I wanted to use, was this arrangement, I scored at Goodwill last week for $3.99.  (I didn't include it with the other post, because I wanted to share it with you here!)  When I saw it, I thought it had "good bones".  I loved the pheasant feathers, the pomegranates, and the urn!  However, as you can see, it needed to be fluffed and the shiny gold urn was a 'no go'. 



So, using the same technique that I showed in my last post, I eliminated the shiny gold. Then, I fluffed up all of the original greenery; and added some sprigs that I already had. I rearranged the feathers, polished up the pomegranates, added in some grapes; and placed it on the top shelf. This is the finished result:



The pomegranates will easily transition into Christmas... I'll simply remove the fall accents and add some holiday picks to it!

Then, I began my scavenger hunt for accessories. I have tons of stuff to 'play' with! 


I started with the mosaic votive holder, from my Salvation Army haul, and placed it on a bed of pheasant feathers...I love using feathers for texture!  I used a scented tea light to provide a warm fall welcome for guests!!




***Updated photo: I embellished the votive holder with a small crown...Not bad for a 99¢ find, huh?



Next to the votive holder, I added one of my favorite photos of my daughters, holding hands, walking across an old bridge, into the sunset...(all together now....awwwwwwwww)...LOL!!!!  I dressed it with a small tassel...



Next, I added an orange embellished candle, surrounded with a leafy candle ring...




On the next shelf, I used the finial from my previous post. I also added a slim book box that I had lying around...



On the bottom shelf, I used a ceramic leaf plate. The color brightens what would have been a very dark space. I surrounded it with some fall accents...



The end result is a welcoming display in the corner of the foyer.  These items will easily transition out for the Christmas season; and provide a wonderful display space.



That's my post for today! I hope you found something here to inspire you; and Happy Decorating!!


31 comments:

  1. Your display turned out great. I love the arrangement on the top shelf and the picture of your girls is sweet.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenita - wow - what a lovely arrangement - each piece compliments the other so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shenita I love wrought iron shelving units and have one displayed in our guest room. Yours is simply gorgeous.

    It has cooled down lately. Whew! I'm happy about it. I love fall. *Smiles*

    Enjoy the weekend!
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your styled your shelf, but my favorite item is the sweet picture of your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a charming display. It looks like you've found a place for some of your great new finds!
    Have a lovely day, Shenita
    ~ Wendi ~ xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! Everything looks super wonderful. I'm still dealing with a brass container filled w/magnolias, etc....spray painted it white...like a fool...looked horrible...now it has some sort of burnt orange spray paint on it...horrible again....I'm not sure if your technique would work on my brass shiny surface....I have to go spray paint shopping again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Thanks for the inspiration. Tons of ideas from this one! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks great Shenita! Your picture of your daughters you added is so sweet. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I love how you filled er up with warm touches of Fall pretties. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shenita, everything looks fab! I love all of it! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your pretties including your latest thrifting find certainly made a lovely Fall display Shenita!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the crown and tassel, you always add such a nice extra touch!
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at that iron shelf made me regret of not getting that iron shelf I saw at goodwill for $10!!!! What a waste.

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so pretty! I love that iron shelf! You have a great eye for decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shenita come by and friend me FB! I couldn't find you over there and I'm on it alot. That and Pinterest are my newest addictions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very, very pretty Shenita. My favorite is what you have done with the arrangement. Great job, and what a sweet pic of your girls, awwwwwwww :)
    I did bring some things inside the other day, and obviously you have had much better luck than I. Maybe I will do a post on it, I did get pics of some of it. We have had problems with wasp and snakes at our house, UUUGGGGHHHHH.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The corner shelf looks great! I ♥ moving things around and feeling like I have a brand new piece Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep you and I would get along just fine! :-) I like your etegare! I believe I have two plant stands that match it! Your accents look great and I like how you will be able to transition your look through the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful, WELCOMING display for your foyer! The arrangement looks great! Love all of your pretties. XO, pinky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shenita~
    Love the iron shelf and you have accessorized everything beautifully. I want an iron shelf now....look out HL, here I come! =)

    Have a wonderful weekend! xo ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a great idea to bring that inside where you could enjoy using it during the cooler months. You've accessorized it so well. I really love your new arrangement. It has some of my favorites in it such as the feathers and the pomegrantes. I know you'll enjoy changing the shelving unit out with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love what you did with the wrought iron shelf.
    It is dressed to perfection. I have a self that was just holding "stuff", now I know just how to fluff it! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Shenita, Love your vision and creativity.The daughter photo is to cherish…..I wanted to thank you for your kind congratulations for the Liz giveaway. You are so kind.I am in awe still!Love seeing your emails because I know it will be a special decor delight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are amazing! Your finds at Goodwill are amazing. I've never been in ours here....now I'm curious what's in there! I've donated to it, but never shopped there. :) I may have to go check it out very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your iron shelf is beautiful! And, the way you've dressed id up for Fall is perfection! I still cannot believe you found those goodies at GW and Salvation Army! Love that you added feathers for texture (big fan of doing that, too). Beautiful picture of your girls, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the picture of your daughters!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and inviting me over! Following back :)

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So, so pretty! We got a Hobby Lobby kind of near me. I am going today!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Shenita, I have that very shelf in my laundry room! ha-ha I love how you've accessorized it for fall. The photo of your daughters is perfect sitting on there. I love photos like that. Nothing sweeter than sisters!

    I'm loving the cooler days we've had the past week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shenita,
    Your shelf looks great, I have a similar one in my backyard. Your floral arrangement is awesome, I LOVE the tucked feathers in it. I love the picture of your girls.
    Have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete