Sunday, September 25, 2011

Homecoming!!

It has been a couple of days since I last posted to my blog. This past week was just a whirlwind!  I celebrated my birthday last Wednesday; and my 18-year-old daughter, Kierra, (who will be turning 19 this week), was home from college.



We are so proud of Kierra!  She graduated from high school, this past June, with a 3.99+ G.P.A. and earned a full, 4-years paid, academic scholarship! Her scholarship covers tuition, room and board, fees and books. (Our bank account thanks her!) God is Good!!!

 Kierra came home to celebrate with me; and to see her sister, Kourtney, who is 17, off to Homecoming. It was so nice to have both our girls home this weekend. To have my only children graduating from high school, back to back, is unbelievable!  Weren’t they both just in diapers??? (They are only 22 months apart.) Actually, I feel like I was just in high school yesterday!

Now, about Homecoming…I don’t know about the rest of the country, but, here in Texas, it is tradition for the girls and their Homecoming dates to exchange mums and garters.  These elaborately decorated mums and garters can run HUNDREDS of dollars; and the more elaborate they are, the more the kids love them! They are embellished with layers and layers of ribbons/streamers, trinkets, feathers, teddy bears, miniature cowbells…and whatever else you can dream of! The more you add...the more they cost! What started out many years ago, as a simple mum corsage has morphed into this:


To give you an indication of how long this thing is...it's hanging on a door!
Now imagine girls trying to pin these to their lapels!!


This is the top... 
(Her teddy bear is wearing a cheer uniform)


 This is the bottom...


Yes, there are even cowbells! Imagine sitting in a class with these things jingling.


(And out of all of that, yes, there is actually a mum down in there!)


Some of these things have become so big, that the girls now add a way to wear it around their necks! At least the boys only have to wear the coordinating garters around their biceps. However, some are just as elaborately decorated.

Kourtney is a senior and a 4-year cheerleader. She made captain this year; so that means booster club and more fundraisers for ME! (Yayyyy???) LOL!  If you know anything about cheerleading and football in Texas, it is INSANE! (Have you seen any of those Lifetime TV movies about Texas cheerleaders???) If so, enough said!



Anyway, those of you with girls know that all of this is a BIG deal…between the pep rallies, the mums/garters, the limo, the dress, the shoes, the hair, the nails, the makeup…it’s a LOT! But, I will cherish this moment, as this is the last time I will experience homecoming on this level. Kinda bittersweet! (However, dear hubby's wallet is still smokin'!)

Finally, I wanted to share with you a couple of birthday gifts from my favorite girls:

Kourtney found this really pretty vase at Pier One. She thought that the reds, golds, and coppers would coordinate perfectly with my décor. We haven’t quite decided where it will eventually come to rest, but you can be sure that I will blog about it!


And, Kierra gave me this Hobby Lobby gift card!!!! You can ALWAYS make mommy happy with a Hobby Lobby gift card!!! (So much to see…so much to buy!)



I’ll be posting soon about how I used these! Enjoy your Sunday!

Verse of the day:
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

22 comments:

  1. Hi Soror!
    Oh, what gorgeous girls you have! (and generous, too!)Happy belated birthday to you. Can you believe mine was on the 15th? Seems we have lots in common. A pleasure to meet you, I'll visit often.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughters are beautiful!
    I'm in Texas, too, so I know what you are talking about with the mums. Those are gorgeous mums!
    I never will forget when I was 16 and was asked to Homecoming and I received a triple mum, it was huge!!!! I was really embarrassed to wear it. Back then, the girls would wear their mums to church the following Sunday and I hesitantly wore mine. One of our pastor's said, I needed a wheelbarrow for my mum, so I took it off before church started. :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, Happy Belated Birthday to you! Oh my gosh, your girl's are GORGEOUS. I bet you have the boys beating down your door. I hope Dad has a good shotgun...lol! ;) How sweet that they got you such nice gifts. I love that vase, good taste obviously runs in the family. =) Thanks for sharing...can't wait for your next post! ((Hugs)) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an exciting weekend. She was suppose to wear that?! Wow, again. Happy Birthday to both of ya'll! Nice score on the gifts. Looks like your girls know how to keep Mom happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Shenita! I hope your special day was terrific.

    Wow! Your daughters are both gorgeous! That is one big and pretty mum. That is a neat tradition I've never seen before.

    Warmly, ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! You have the most beautiful daughters. You have every right to show them off and share their talents with everyone. I'm VERY impressed! You're so lucky to have a daughter do so well in highschool and get a complete scholarship to college. My oldest son is a senior in highschool but that is not in his future. Your other daughter being involved in cheerleading is going to pay off for her as well, I'm sure. Sounds like you and your husband have done a very good job raising them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops......P.S. I almost forgot. Happy Belated Birthday too! I was so impressed with your kids achievements that I almost forgot to send out birthday wishes to you too! Those gifts they gave you are perfect. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, Happy Birthday! Secondly, OMG, your daughters are just gorgeous! It's easy to see why you are so proud of them, you have every right to be. We don't do homecoming on such a grand scale here in Virginia. My only son graduated from high school this past June and is leaving tomorrow to take his physical to join the Air Force. Unbelieveable how fast they grow up! Glad you had a great weekend and looks like your scored some awesome loot for your birthday! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart, talented and Kierra is also beautiful...what a blessing! Happy Birthday to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What pretty girls...and smart, too. I can see why you're so proud of them.
    That mum is huge. lol I hope Kourtney enjoyed homecoming.
    Happy Birthday to you! Your girls got you some great gifts. Enjoy shopping at Hobby Lobby. =o)
    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is so beautiful! You must be so proud! Also just saw you are a Texan as well! Gotta love this great big state!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your girls are beautiful and talented. I can see why you are so proud of them.
    Thanks for you nice comment on our Blog and for following. We are following you now.
    Happy Belated Birthday. I'm sure it was fun and what nice gifts from your daughters.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet post. Great photos of your daughters. They are beautiful and smart.

    I grew up in Texas and remember the monster huge corsages at homecoming even back in the 70s. LOL, some things never change.

    As a former high school cheer mom when we lived in California, I completely get everything you said but it's a lot of work for the mom. There's lots of self-esteem building that goes on that really does help our girls when they move on, out of college, and into their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoo hoo...congrats! What a beautiful family you have. You should be proud, glad you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shenita! Your girls are absolutely beautiful! My older two graduated 2 years apart. I know exactly waht you mean. It goes by so fast. Too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your daughters are so beautiful!! I wished I lived in Texas so I could wear a mum! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday! It looks like you have wonderful daughters, inside and out. Gongrats on the full ride! And thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful and great girls you have. You must be bursting at the seams with pride!

    Sorry this is late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Shenita,
    I just scrolled down to this older post and had to tell...your daughter are beautiful...and scholars too...you must be so proud of them!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your daughter is gorgeous! And yay for a full scholarship! Mine is only one and we are going to start having the scholarship talk next year lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love reading about HS traditions like this!!! :D Got to *love* the corsage. Your daughters are gorgeous. My daughter will be 19 in two weeks, and she earned a scholarship to college, too (thank heavens). I appreciate your visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment!

    xoxoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shenita, thanks for the visit. Your daughters mum was gorgeous. I will also be saying goodbye to the "mum days" this school year. It does seem hard to believe some times that my baby will be graduating in 2012.

    Hugs,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete