Friday, September 30, 2011

Tweaking My Home Office

A few years ago, interior designer, Chris Madden, authored a beautiful coffee table book entitled, "A Room Of Her Own: Women's Personal Spaces". That is what this room is for me. This is the place where I come to create and blog. It is not a fancy space; but, simply, a place to call my own. This is truly a "working" office; and the books kept here are often used for reference or inspiration.  So, today, I am sharing my home office with you.

(Yes, there are a couple of boxes on the floor.  See? This really IS a "working" office...it's not just for show...LOL! The wall facing the desk, just out of sight to the right, houses my file cabinets, craft storage, and a small t.v.)

The office is conveniently located, diagonally, just off the kitchen. Thus, I arranged the furniture on an angle. When we first moved in, I painted the walls "Elk Tan" by Behr (Home Depot). After seeing it on the walls of model homes and in magazines, I knew that it would be versatile enough to work with my everchanging decor. Then, I had dear hubby to install this ceiling fan. As much as I'd like to have a pretty chandelier, this Texas heat demands a ceiling fan. I thought this one was pretty sleek; and I like the fact that I can control it from the desk, by remote.


Across from the desk, is a comfy red settee...

This was a gift from my best friend, and replaced the two chairs that previously occupied the space. It's a great place to curl up and read, watch TV, catch up with a girlfriend, or sneak away to take a nap. The zebra print throw is from ZGallerie. The iron piece is from Hobby Lobby...50% off. It makes a nice statement on an otherwise bare wall. (I'll eventually add some other accents to this wall.) On the corner of the desk, sits a small pot of orchids, that will soon be changed to dried hydrangeas. I usually have a candle lit for ambience. (I'm currently burning a pumpkin scented candle.)

Also, on the desk is a lacquered cigar box, that was a gift to my hubby, from a business associate. (He doesn't smoke...but the box looks pretty.)


The settee faces the bookshelves behind the desk...



On the left side of the bookcases, you'll find some of my sorority paraphernalia, my Southern Living Christmas books, and some decorative accents.



Below, are the two red vases that were in my last post. There are also a couple of western style bronze sculptures. These are Frederic Remington Bronze Collectibles, that are very popular in Texas. These two are called, "Bronco Buster" and "Cheyenne". They were corporate awards for my husband.  (The sculptures are extremely heavy and mounted on marble bases.) I finished off the ledge with some greenery and a bronze globe from Pier 1. The metal sign is also from Hobby Lobby... another 50% off deal!



I also found a home for the finials that were in my last post. The taller one has found a home on the desk...


And the lone bookend is atop a box on the top shelf. 




Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming together. I will continue to tweak it, and fill it with things that I love. I just want a personal space to create...and just "be".

Thanks for visiting with me today; and have a great weekend!

Linking To:
A Delightsome Life-Return to Loveliness
Debbiedoo's Newbie Linkie Party
Home Savvy-Freshmen Friday
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating-Flaunt It Friday
The Charm of Home-Home Sweet Home
2805: Potpourri Friday
Stuff and Nonsense-Fridays Unfolded
Kristen's Creations
No Minimalist Here-Open House Party
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays
Type 'A'-Anything Goes
BNOTP Metamorphosis Monday
Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Boogie Board Cottage Masterpiece Monday

Verses of the Day:
..."Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."  Mark 6:31 (NIV)


Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Mark 1:35 (NIV)



41 comments:

  1. Your office is very pretty. Love that zebra throw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inviting and inspiring room. I love all your details. The room is very pretty. Nice place to think, write and blog!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your decorating style. The zebra throw adds a nice statement to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful office space. It's decorated beautifully.
    have a great weekend~ Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a gorgeous office; Love it!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!
    Wow! Your blog is a knock-out! So many elaborate decorating ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very lucky to have a room just for you! I use the computer in the kitchen when I blog or the laptop in the family room while watching tv. Your office looks very sophisticated yet comfortable. I used to have that book from Chris Madden. Not sure what I did with it. You definitely have a great room of your own now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to have a space to call your own, where you can think, and create, and dream, surrounded by your favorite things.
    Very pretty, Shenita! Have a lovely weekend,
    ~ Wendi ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful space. I spy lots of goodies I like. Your colors are lovely. LOVE the zebra throw and how you have accessorized the top of your unit. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend! XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shenita! Thanks so very much for visiting me and following at Simplify. I see my friend Liz right up there before me on the comment section! She is such a doll. Your blog is gorgeous! I love your style. My Mom and her kin are from Texas!!!! And we all LOVE New Orleans...were you anywhere near there when you lived in LA? So nice to meet you. I am clicking to follow you, but won't have you on my blog roll til I arm wrestle my laptop from my daughter.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I would ever want to leave this room! I'm crazy about the red sofa (my favorite color) and the zebra throw is so fantastic! It's a pleasure to meet you! ~ Yvonne (your newest follower)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Shenita,
    I just love your office. I think every woman needs a personal space to go to to...not only get work done but to just reflect. Yours is beautiful!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shenita your office is beautiful and I too could so take a nap in there!;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful space to work!! I am so jealous of such a space, lol! It is gorgeous and you have done a beautiful job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shenita - Great place to work and blog. Love the red couch, lots of great through out the room.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. Hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting Crafty Moms Share and for becoming a follower. Love your office!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shenita your home office looks fabulous. The finials are gorgeous and the zebra throw adds the perfect pop. Love it!

    Your blog looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Shenita, your home office is gorgeous I think I could live in there! Sorry for not commenting sooner, my father-in-law passed away unexpectedly last Sunday night and we have not stopped all week! Please keep us in your prayer's, my husband's Mom is 81, and legally blind, so we are trying to find someone to stay with her.
    have a blessed day,
    Regina
    p.s. Love the bible verse!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Shenita,
    Your Bible verse was right on time. Needed that today. You office is so elegant, warm, and inviting. Your bronzes are so fabulous and I am in love with the throw. I think animal prints add such a nice elegance to a room. Thanks so much for sharing my dear!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Shenita! Thanks for coming to visit me. I am following you now too. By the way, my hubby is a Texan too.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your office is so pretty! What a great place to blog...and work if you have to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Shenita! Oh, my goodness! What a gorgeous office! You're so fortunite to have such a great room! You've decorated it just beautifully.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. O, my...you have beautiful things and you sure know how to make them the best they can be.
    Your office is BEAUTIFUL...Your Remington bronze is just awesome.
    Thanks so much for following..I am following right back and if we meet in the middle, we can have a glass of wine and a piece of good cheese.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the kind of wonderful space where it is easy to distinguish solitude from loneliness. You've done a beautiful job creating your special spot. Thank you for inviting us in. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've created a beautiful room of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Shenita, this is beautiful! I love the zebra print throw. I just may have to pop over to Zgallerie. Love those pillows on the sofa also. You have great taste, and I just love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely, peaceful office you have! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and following! I'm following you now, too!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like a great space to work! Love the idea of burning a candle. Visiting from BNOTP~
    Heidi @ Show Some Decor

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, Shenita! Your office space is SO neat. No one....and I mean NO ONE....would want to see mine! I have a front and back desk that I swivel between with a rolling chair, and both of them are constantly loaded down with samples and swatches and lists. It's crazy! But it is an "organized mess" for the most part. I also have a couple of staging tables in here upon which I start to piece together various tablescapes. There's usually no fewer than 5 or 6 ideas going on over there at once. My mind keeps churning them out faster than I can get them set up. So, having said all that, I say, "Hats off!" to you for being able to maintain neatness and order along with wonderful creature comforts like that great settee! Now I must comment on the AKA items on your bookshelves. I never pledged a sorority (my husband jokes that we both pledged "non phi none"), but my Mom is a Delta. Nearly every event I put on for her, though, is a pink and green wonderland. Drives her nuts!!! I, of course, think it's funny as all get out! I know I'm going to get fussed at every time, but she still loves the end result, so...! The colors of "non phi none" are crystal and clear, so I never have to worry! :-) OK, I'm finished playing around on the computer now. Just stopped in to peek around on your blog. I'll be back. Take care, and I'll see you on Tablescape Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a pretty office...you have some wonderful pieces in there. it's good to have your own space to blog and work. So glad you joined the party!! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your office is beautiful. You have a terrific sence of style!

    Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. You participation is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love what you have done here...looks great!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great place to blog, ponder and wonder what you're going to cook for dinner. Love it all! Nicely done. Visiting from Freshman Friday. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a nice personal space to call your own. You have done a wonderful job tweeking and it all works in your favor. Thanks for inviting me in.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous room! My husband had that same exact cigar box. He gave it to a friend and bought a different one. I love that box! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the idea of having a room of my own and hope to one day. I love how you have yours set up - so pretty, yet so functional.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your office, Shenita. Having spent all my adult life behind the desk in one office after another, I really appreciate what you have done with yours...As I sit in my office as we speak, I wish my office looked as gorgeous as yours. I have joined your blog and invite you to join me as well. I hope you will pick up my blog button as well.
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shenita, it is lovely! I really enjoyed the styles you have used. Thanks!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't want to stop working, with this office. Love it. I'm a new member of your site for sure. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a beautiful space! Thank you for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just love it! The paint color is a perfect backdrop to the beautiful colors in your special room - the throw is gorgeous! Love all your touches. My husband is an Alpha Phi Alpha and has his collectibles all in his office - Thank you for sharing with A Return to Loveliness! God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete