Thursday, September 22, 2011

Embellished Candles


Some of you have emailed me regarding the cross candles that are displayed throughout my home. The most common question being..."Did you buy the candles with the crosses or did you add those?"

The answer is...I added them. It's REALLY easy to do! You see these candles, in boutiques, selling for about $35...minimum.  Additionally, the same shops are now selling crosses with "push pins" on the back, starting at about $19.99.

After studying these little gems for a minute, I realized I could make my own.

All of the components can be purchased at Hobby Lobby, during their 50% off specials...the candles, a roll of ribbon, and the crosses.

You simply take your candle, measure the ribbon around the perimeter, and secure with a dab of hot glue:



Then, run a strip of hot glue down the center of the cross and press it to the candle:


It's that simple! (Tip: Do not try to attach the cross directly to the candle, without the ribbon. It will not adhere well, due to the waxy surface.)

If you want to do something, other than crosses, to coordinate with your decor, you can also use crowns or fleur de lis symbols. I have even used decorative drawer/cabinet pulls that have a flat back. (These all can be purchased at Hobby Lobby, as well).

They usually cost me about $7 to make; and add so much to a room. These could be a great addition to your holiday decor; and you can get really creative with the embellishments you choose to adorn your candle.


That's it for today..."Happy Decorating"!

Linking to:
Women Who Do It All-Idea Sharing Wednesday
The Project Queen-Turning The Daunting Into The Do-able
Homemaker on a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party
Savvy HomeMade Monday
Debbiedoo's Newbie Linkie Party
Dittle Dattle Amaze Me Monday
Inspire Me Monday
Market Yourself Monday-Lunch Bag
 The Blackberry Vine-Tuesday To Do
Tuesday's Treasures
Type A: Anything Goes
Coastal Charmn-Nifty Thifty Tuesday
Home Stories A to Z
Grits and Glamour-Keep It Simple
Kristen's Creations
Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesdays
Home Savvy Freshmen Friday
Flaunt It Friday
At The Picket Fence Inspiration Friday
Finding Fabulous Frugalicious Friday
The Thrifty Groove-Thrifty Things Fridayl
My Romantic Home-Show and Tell Friday
Stuff and Nonsense-Fridays Unfolded
Home is Where My Story Begins-Home and Family Friday


Be sure to visit Cindy's blog, DWELLINGS ,for her fantastic giveaway!! Please visit her site for details!!


Verse for Today:
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

40 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I love your decorating! I will be back on a regular basis! You are very talented!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever! I'm one of those people that paid too much for the crosses with the stick pin in it! Ha! I never thought of doing it the way you did. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! So simple, yet so elegant and beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I just found your blog. Happy that I did!
    A few years ago I saw some candles with crosses in a catalog. Their candles were waaaay expensive. More than I could ever pay, so I copied them! ha-ha I used velcro on mine. The velcro technique wouldn't work on heavy items. I like your idea with the ribbon better. The crosses you added to yours are so pretty.
    Your autumn mantel is gorgeous! You have a lovely home and I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    have a beautiful day~ Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shenita, Thank you so much for the post!
    have a blessed day,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shenita,

    Great tip! Love the candles very warm and cosy...Very nice!
    I will use this idea when I decorate for Christmas!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shenita...

    Your autumn candles with the crosses are GORGEOUS! Thank you for sharing your tips with us...simply beautiful!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the saving on these ...thanks for sharing your idea. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shenita,
    Gorgeous!!! You are one cleaver and talented lady, my dear! Thank you for sharing with us how to embellish our homes with His presence!
    Also, thank you for you recent visit and sweet comment. Stop by again, soon!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea, and your presentation is lovely!! Hobby Lobby is coming to my neck of the woods in a month, so I am beyond thrilled. Your candles look like a million bucks. I can't wait to try and replicate them. Thanks so much for sharing! XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with the candles and I love that lantern! I am following you! Thanks for coming by.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shenita, thanks for your visit and kind words, the witch hat on my post I found it on Pinterest. I am also following you back. Your cross candles are beautiful. I want to make one for my home, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the sweet comment regarding my fall tree, you should try it, much easier than decorating one for Christmas.
    hugs,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have gorgeous decorations out for fall. I went up in the attic and came back without anything. I call it over whelming. Your new follower.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so clever. I never thought of that, but what a super idea. I love the crosses, however I've seen some knobs that would be fabulous also. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great idea that is so pretty! Love the crosses!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So clever and so pretty. Thank you for sharing the how to. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your creative candles - they're magnificent! Thank you for sharing how you created them and thank you for visiting! Your newest follower!
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I just purchased a candle with a Fleur-De-Lis piece on it from Hobby Lobby. Your idea is great and allows a person to use it more than once!
    John 3:16 was the first bible verse I remember learning at church when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful and clever idea! I'm borrowing this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shenita, Your cross embellished candles are simply gorgeous! What a fabulous idea! They'd make wonderful Christmas gifts too. I'm borrowing your idea...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a simple and pretty way
    to gussy up a naked candle

    love the autumny look you've created
    in your pretty space

    thank you for linking up to fridays unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the candles...I will be making some of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love embellishing candles! These turned out wonderful. Thanks for joining TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Neat idea. I've uses actual push pins with interesting motifs, but with the ribbon and glue gun, you could add most anything.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! This is a wonderful idea! I love it! They are so pretty too! Thank you so much for visiting me so that I could find you. I am adding you and your beautiful blog to my list to follow as well. I look forward to seeing many more of your wonderful ideas. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are great and I have seen the push pin crosses anywhere from$8 all the way up to $24! Yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So simple, yet so elegant! Very nice project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on your daughter's full ride. Thanks to my husband's good planning we were able to put both our kids through college. But to have it paid for would have been wonderful. I'm not sure what's up but your follower gadget is blank. I'll be back again to see if it's working. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love what you've done with the candles. Thanks for sharing how you made them. Oh the possibilities!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a neat project!! Love that you used crosses too!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for that sweet little tutorial. I'm going to try some myself...and think they would make nice gifts. Yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am all about embellishments so I love your candles. I also love crosses so these are even more to my liking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great tip! Thanks so much for sharing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Here I am again! :-) LOVE the candles! You are so right in that the candles already adorned cost a fortune. I will definitely be trying these. I do love crosses too!

    Thanks so much for sharing ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yours are gorgeous! I spent one day this winter studying making my own molds to make these crosses for candles. But, by the time I bought all of the supplies I could just by the crosses! lol!

    Happy Fall!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Shenita! Your candles are gorgeous! Great tutorial too! Thanks so much for dropping by and for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Shenita! I just had to feature this on my new little baby blog Scribbles and Swirls! I hope you don't mind!
    http://tamiscribblesandswirls.blogspot.com/2011/10/cross-embellished-candles.html
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~Tami

    ReplyDelete